Carriages and Wagons Regency To Early Victorian. From 1850 Hints To Horse keepers By Henry William Herbert.
via Google Books (PD150)Continue reading →
Historical Research Posts
From Around the Web
End of June
Including ‘Inexpressibles’, Duchess of Devonshire, Vauxhall Gardens, capitalisation of historical words, Victorian Parlor Games, disabled workers in the past, the madness of George III, a Georgian club for men, the season, Waterloo rings, Birmingham’s gun district, French fashion, life of the Gentry, etc.
CHATELAINES BY SUZI LOVE
Reblogged from Historical Hearts
- The word Chatelaine is French and means the keeper of the keys
- Chatelaine” derives from the Latin word for castle
- In Medieval times, the chatelaine was in charge of the day-to-day running of the castle.
What did a chatelaine do?
- Most important task was keeper of the keys.
- Also ordered supplies, did bookkeeping, supervised servants, taught castle children, and organized guests.
What were chatelaines used for?
- Castle keepers needed keys safe, yet easily accessible.
- By 1700′s, a metal jeweled ornament hung from pockets, attached to belts, or by hooks into skirt waistbands
- During 1800′s, women wore large collections of tools hung from chains
- Young girls sewed and did needlework and needed to carry sewing notions eg scissors, thimbles
- Worn by women of all classes, from workers to nobility
- Varied depending on class and finances.
- Made of silver, brass, steel, leather, or fabric
- During 19th century, fashionable dresses often had no waist and nowhere to hang chatelaines
- Chatelaines became decorative brooches
- Often given as a wedding present from a husband to bride
- Later became fashion accessories
London Historical Buildings
Auction Mart and Bank of England
by Suzi Love
FROM: 1827 Metropolitan Improvements; Or, London in the Nineteenth Century, Displayed in a Series of Engravings of the New Buildings, Improvements, &c., by the Most Eminent Artists, from Original Drawings, Taken from the Objects Themselves Expressly for this Work
by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd
Publisher : Jones & Company and sold by Simpkin and Marshall
AUCTION MART, ETC ST. BARTHOLOMEW LANE.
Erected in 1808-9 for the public sale of all sorts of Property, and has since had a literary
Institution engrafted on the original Establishment.
At some distance, on the same side, is the principal Avenue, through Capel Court, to the Stock Exchange; and still further, the Church of St. Bartholomew, built in the year 1670.
On the right, the eastern front of the Bank of England, which has been lately repaired and much improved, occupies the entire space to the corner of Threadneedle Street: the entrance to the Rotunda. where stockjobbers, &c. carry on their dealings in British Securities, being about the centre of the range, and nearly opposite the Stock Exchange.
The View is terminated by a portion of the north elevation of the Royal Exchange, over which the new Tower and Cupola, surmounting the south front of the same Building, and finished in 1824, is conspicuous.